In 2018, we mark the centennial of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, the most powerful and important bird-protection law ever passed. In honor of this milestone, nature lovers around the world are joining forces to celebrate the “Year of the Bird” and commit to protecting birds today and for the next hundred years. In our region, Audubon Rockies is celebrating by challenging the birders across Colorado & Wyoming to do what they do best, watch birds.
We never need a reason to celebrate birds here at Audubon, but in 2018 we’re going to make an especially big deal of them. That’s because not only is it the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act—a pivotal piece of legislation that continues to save countless birds’ lives—but birds are facing many new and serious threats. And so it’s with great excitement that we’ve teamed up with National Geographic, BirdLife International, and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to officially make 2018 the Year of the Bird.
What exactly is Year of the Bird? Good question! Throughout the year, all of us partners, along with more than 100 other participating organizations, will be celebrating birds while raising awareness about their troubles across all of our channels—magazines, television, social media, and more—with new editorial, content, and programs. You can find out more about how you can #birdyourworld this year in the note below from Audubon’s president and CEO, David Yarnold, as well as at the official Year of the Bird website. You’ll also want to keep checking back here, at Audubon.org, to find new Year of the Bird-related stories every month. We have lots planned, so stay tuned!
Audubon Rockies will be offering two prizes to the top eBird users for the categories “Species” and “Checklists.” To learn more about bird conservation in our region, visit rockies.audubon.org.
Prizes can include, but are not limited to:
- Hamburger grazed on Audubon Certified Bird Friendly Land - https://goo.gl/bC6Ydq
- Gifts from our Habitat Hero program - https://goo.gl/Ny4k63
- Copies of Rockie’s Sagebrush Adventures - https://goo.gl/fgocUS
- MORE prizes will be announced as the challenge progresses!
Wyoming Registration: https://goo.gl/forms/xqoCUTzSoJUCFnzQ2
Colorado Registration: https://goo.gl/forms/D8fQLHlsMiEQ5b3N2
1. Only birds/checklists entered through an eBird account will count
2. Participants must register with Audubon Rockies by June 15th, 2018.
Contact Zach Hutchinson at email@example.com with a name and email
address to register.
3. All birds/checklists must be entered into eBird by January 7th, 2019.
4. Rare birds must have documentation provided for local eBird
Reviewers. Audubon Rockies will consult with local reviewers on rare birds.
5. In the result of a tie, a coin flip will decide the category winner.
6. Top "Species" and top "Checklist" winners cannot be the same
individual. Second place "Checklist" participant will be selected in the
event of same individual finishing in top place for both categories.
7. Individuals can only claim one prize from either Colorado or Wyoming.
8. This challenge is not sponsored, endorsed, or in connection with
eBird's monthly/annual challenges.
9. Prizes & awards are subject to change.
10. Audubon Rockies has final decision on all Audubon Rockies Birding
Challenge disputes, clarifications, rules, and awards.
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/audubonrockies