Get outside to celebrate the end of summer and hummingbirds as they head out on their fall migration. Help scientists gain a better understanding of hummingbird migration in our region by using iNaturalist to document the hummingbirds you see during Labor Day weekend. Wyomingites, Utahns, and Coloradans are all encouraged to participate.
iNaturalist is an online social network with a free app and website that provide a place to record and organize nature observations, meet other nature enthusiasts, and learn about the natural world. You can use it to record your observations, get help with identifications, and view other people’s observations.
To participate, just follow these steps:
- Register National Hummingbird Weekend
- Create a free iNaturalist account.
- Download the iNaturalist app for iPhones or Android.
- Review iNaturalist’s instructions and practice using the app (see below).
- On September 5-9, submit your hummingbird observations on the iNaturalist app on your phone or the iNaturalist website on your computer.
For help identifying hummingbirds in our region, check out this article.
Additional iNaturalist Resources
Broad-tailed Hummingbird. Photo: Evan Barrientos/Audubon Rockies