Lauren Springer Ogden, renowned garden designer, and High Country Gardens carefully selected a collection of 15 xeric plants designed to attract and benefit songbirds, pollinators and other wildlife in the Habitat Hero Birdwatcher Pre-Planned Garden. This 7’x12’ garden-in-a-box has a great variety of perennials, shrubs and ornamental grasses.
High Country Gardens proudly supports the mission of Audubon Rockies by donating some of the proceeds with every garden sold!
Together with High County Gardens we have created the Habitat Hero Birdwatcher Pre-Planned Garden. Carefully selected, this collection of plants will draw and benefit songbirds and other beneficial pollinators. Learn more in this video!
For a list of pollinator safe retailers – visit here
- ALPLAINS (Kiowa, CO) - Family operated, specializes in seed of western natives, also includes non-natives of alpine species from around the world; catalog gives location where seed collected, codes indicate germination advice, also has good information on pretreatment and germination of native seeds.
- Applewood Seed Company (Arvada, CO) - Offers seed of many natives and non-natives.
- Arkansas Valley Seed Company (Denver, CO) - Seeds of native grasses, forbs, wildflowers, shrubs, and trees as well as non-native naturalized species.
- Bath Garden Center and Nursery (Fort Collins, CO) - Retail nursery with a Habitat Hero Demonstration Garden along with a wide selection of native plants & seeds and hosts educational workshops.
- Beauty Beyond Belief (Fort Collins, CO) - Specializes in seed of native wildflowers, seed available in small packets, seed sold in many retail outlets.
- Chelsea Nursery (Grand Junction, CO) – Dedicated to xeric and native plants. Definition of native for this nursery is ‘plants growing naturally in the Rocky Mountain Region’
- Eagle Crest Nursery (El Jebel, CO)
- Earth Love Gardens (Boulder, CO) - Facilitates the opportunity for everybody to sustainably grow food. They create garden beds, custom-size cold frames, greenhouses, and edible landscaping permaculture design.
- Fort Collins Nursery (Fort Collins, CO) - Retail nursery with selection of native plants and seeds, workshops; website does not include plant list so must call or visit nursery or call to availability.
- Gardening With Altitude (Cheyenne, WY) – Plant nursery and garden center that specialize in native foliage.
Harlequin Gardens (Boulder, CO) – Family-owned nursery and garden center dedicated in providing plants that are neonic-free!
- High Country Gardens (Santa Fe, NM) - Retail, mail order nursery, specializes in native and naturalized plants for the high elevation southwest.
- JAX Ranch & Home (Fort Collins, CO) – Specializing in carrying a selection of native plants.
- Lawyer Nursery (West Plains, MT) - Specializes in wholesale of bareroot trees and shrubs for reclamation, including many natives; minimum order $250. Most plants sold in bundles of 10-100.
- Laporte Avenue Nursery (Fort Collins, CO) – They grow plants and ship them in 2 ½ pots. Go to their website for their catalog and more information.
- Pawnee Buttes Seed Inc. (Greeley, CO) - Primarily wholesale source of seed, including native grasses, shrubs, and forbs for reclamation and restoration.
- Plants of the Southwest (Santa Fe, NM) - Specializes in seed of native trees, shrubs, and wildflowers of the Southwest, issues catalog, seeds available in small packets with growing instructions.
- Sharp Brothers Seed Company (Greeley, CO) - Largest seed producer in US. Offers seeds of native grasses and wildflowers, the Greeley location focuses on Rocky Mountain region.
- Western Native Seed (Coaldale, CO) - Native wildflower, grass, shrub and tree seeds, mixes for different elevations and biomes, run by a botanist and his wife.
- Wind River Seed (Manderson, WY) - Specializes in seeds of native shrubs and wildflowers, primarily a source for reclamation seed but has some in small quantities.
- Wyoming Plant Company (Casper, WY) - Retail nursery which offers a variety of native plants in pots.