What Is Wyoming BioBlitz?
The Wyoming BioBlitz is a free, one-of-a-kind, annual opportunity for families, students, and all nature-lovers to search for and learn about plants and wildlife in Wyoming. For the last 11 years, Wyoming BioBlitz has been an in-person event, but this year we will be holding it statewide virtually due to the coronavirus.
From July 17-19 this year, people can participate by submitting observations of wild organisms from anywhere in Wyoming using iNaturalist. For some friendly competition, we’ve divided the state into 8 regions. Help yours record the most species!
Regional Collection Projects
- Lincoln, Uinta, and Sweetwater
- Teton, Sublette, and Fremont
- Park, Hot Springs, Washakie, and Big Horn
- Albany and Carbon
- Laramie, Platte, and Goshen
- Natrona, Converse, and Niobrara
- Black Hills
Why Participate in Wyoming BioBlitz?
If you’re reading this, you probably already know how fun and exciting it is to notice new or uncommon species around you. Wyoming BioBlitz feeds that sense of curiosity and discovery by encouraging people to observe everything around them, from the moose to the millipedes. By dedicating some time to looking for new species, you’re also likely to learn about wildlife you didn’t even know about. For that, our regional coordinators are available to help you.
Wyoming BioBlitz is also a great opportunity for families to spend time together doing something out of the ordinary. No level of expertise is needed, which means family members of all ages can enjoy a weekend of exploring nature and the biodiversity in it.
Finally, participating in Wyoming BioBlitz contributes scientific data that are useful to scientists and conservationists working to study and protect Wyoming’s wonderful plants and wildlife.
What Is iNaturalist?
iNaturalist is an online social network with a free app and website that provide a place to record and organize nature observations, meet other nature enthusiasts, and learn about the natural world. You can use it to record your own observations, get help with identifications, and view other people’s observations.
How Do I Participate in Wyoming BioBlitz 2020?
To participate in Wyoming BioBlitz 2020, just follow these steps:
- Register for Wyoming BioBlitz 2020 (so we can provide you with updates).
- Create a free iNaturalist account.
- Download the iNaturalist app for iPhones or Android.
- Review iNaturalist’s instructions and practice using the app.
- 5. On July 17-19, submit your observations of plants, animals (including invertebrates), and mushrooms in Wyoming through the iNaturalist app on your phone or website on your computer.
If you’d like, you can go you the BioBlitz iNaturalist project page to see what other people are observing during BioBlitz.
Additional iNaturalist Resources
Photo: Evan Barrientos/Audubon Rockies