Habitat Heroes are individuals, organizations, and businesses in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah that create habitat for birds and other wildlife by planting gardens with native plants. Anyone in these three states, regardless of their gardening abilities, can become a certified Habitat Hero. Once you've planted your bird-friendly garden, follow the steps below. In doing so, you'll help inspire others to weave together a landscape in which birds thrive.
View our garden categories to find out which your garden falls into.
We will review your application and determine if your garden is a bronze, silver or gold wildscape. Please allow 3-4 weeks to process your application and to receive your benefits package.
What benefits do I receive from my $30 application fee?
- An all-weather Habitat Hero garden sign to proudly display in your garden that corresponds to your bronze, silver, or gold status.
- One-year subscription to Audubon magazine
- Electronic copy of either Colorado or Wyoming Wildscapes book
- One packet of native wildflower seeds
- Opportunity to be featured in Audubon Rockies communications help to inspire others
- Pride in knowing you are part of the growing effort to weave together a landscape for wildlife
For more information or assistance, please contact Jamie Weiss, Habitat Hero coordinator, at email@example.com or (970) 416-6931.
Rufous Hummingbird. Photo: Tom Koerner/USFWS
Become a Habitat Hero
Inspire others to create wildlife habitat and beautify your community.