About Habitat Hero
Birds need native plants to survive. By planting a bird-friendly garden, you can help reverse one of the biggest threats birds face: habitat loss. Together we can weave together a landscape that wildlife can live in.
Native gardens not only provide food and shelter for birds, they conserve water and eliminate chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Filled with color and life, they make our communities healthier and more beautiful. Finally, bird-friendly gardens are places to connect to nature.
Habitat Hero gardens...
- Include a diversity of native plants
- Provide seeds, insects, shelter and nesting sites for birds
- Provide nectar, pollen, and host plants for pollinators
- Conserve water because native plants are adapted to their local climate
- Do not rely on the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides
- Do not spread invasive species of plants
Anyone can become a Habitat Hero, regardless of your gardening abilities. Even people without access to land can create container gardens.
Why Native Plants Are Better for Birds and People
Bird-friendly landscaping provides food, saves water, and fights climate change.
Habitat Hero Fact Sheet
A printable overview of Habitat Hero for interested gardeners.
Bird-friendly Gardening Resources
Explore this map of certified Habitat Hero gardens.